Tel'Ranaemyn: The Wandering Hills Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This space is held for (the short version) announcements and any news worthy notations.

If you see missing pictures or links, bare with me! Slight changes in the works.

Here are a few links to help you get started and get a general feel for the players.

-Guest Poster? READ this!
Latest topics
» Finding his way back.
by Sky Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 am

» "Hello! Do you have a minute to talk about ...?" ((Open to everyone))
by Archer Caughey Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 pm

» O.o This ought to shake up some moods o.O. {OPEN TO ALL}
by Kahn Jordianthan Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 am

» What The Heck Happened That Night!
by Arcadia Caughey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

» Ghosts of the Past
by Liberty Jean Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

» Night One: Introducing Himself [Open to Others]
by De'Ryanna Aybara Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 am

Suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at Epiphany's Door. (Open to Epiphany or whatever horridness lurks in The Door)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at Epiphany's Door. (Open to Epiphany or whatever horridness lurks in The Door) Empty Suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at Epiphany's Door. (Open to Epiphany or whatever horridness lurks in The Door)

Post by Rodry Pol Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:00 am

While the stairs had been a bit more than he had expected, it wasn't like he hadn't seen them when he had arrived but there was that 'little' sin of pride. Not to mention overestimating ones ability at times. It had taken two goes at it, leaving him sitting upon the stairs for a minute or two. Thankfully his lungs didn't act up, at least not enough to require his hankerchief.

The second carefully measured ascent brought him to the summit, or rather the first landing. Glancing at the next set of stairs left him shivering and reminescing back to when he could have gone running up a dozen flights without slowing, let along being left unable to breathe.

Perhaps in time he would manage to reach a higher floor, but thankfully today his destination was here. Within sight even. She was right to explain that it was a most unusual door. His eyes caught sight of the others and the fact that the last in the hall didn't have so much as a niche or the common molding around it ...

Most unusual.

"The Door, hm?"

Rodry had been careful not to wear anything shiny, no cufflinks or buttoneers, he had even worn his old traveling boots rather than the polished dress shoes that he wore at times. Yet as usual he was leaning upon that cane, the laquered black wood might have been attractive in it's own way especially for a wooden door, but lets not speculate too far into that. The black slacks had a longsleeve shirt tucked into them, it's Gunmetal hue close enough to his hair to be considered a match. The blue tie however was far more vibrant than anything else he was wearing!

He leaned along his cane as he made his way down the hall. Pausing well out of arm and cane's reach of the door. Sapphire eyes running quickly over it. Oh he could remember a day when the prospect of The Door and the promise that such a magical thing presented to be exciting, not to mention a deliciously distracting riddle for him to unravel.

Not a normal door at all are you...

A quick swipe of his tongue to moisten his lips, just a bit of hesitation before he spoke.

"Listen here Door. I want to make our relationship a good one, but I don't plan on letting you get pushy either. You let Epiphany know I'm here and play nice and perhaps I will make it worth your while. I hear you like baubles and things and I am sure that my son has a couple of handsome knockers that would really accentuate your better points. So lets just play nice, hm?"

Yet all through his negotiating he was giving the door a very short, hard look. Rodry had dealt with more than his fair share of magical items and understood all too well of their naturally mischievious nature. It was just a question of just how sentient the enchantment on the door was!

And with that his gloved hand was lifting to give the door a firm rap, more so in warning than anything else before he was reaching for the handle!

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at Epiphany's Door. (Open to Epiphany or whatever horridness lurks in The Door) Empty Re: Suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at Epiphany's Door. (Open to Epiphany or whatever horridness lurks in The Door)

Post by The Door Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Handle be where? Handle be gone!

There was no handle on this Door, just wood and the three wide metal strips that ran across it in a horizontal fashion. Silly Door and it's tricks, trying to fool the man into thinking that there was a knob.

The moment the Door was addressed it became alert, focus shifting from wherever it was before to the one who had called it and boy was this person being given the one over, even if he couldn't see it. No. Nothing had changed, yet, about the outward appearance of this un-ordinary piece of lumber for all looked the same. Inside? Oh inside the Door was having a ball and laughing itself into splinters because of what was said. The man was offering his son's knockers? That was most certainly different!

Then something happened. First, there was a cord. A musical cord from the sound of a harmonic playing a long 'B' sharp note that's held till the count of five and then abruptly ended. The sound of scurrying - like a squirrel - would follow next from the bottom of the door and all the way to the very tip top of the Door (which was 7 feet) where a smaller door that was two inches tall and three inches wide opened up. It was pitch black inside that small; the only thing to see were a pair of two silver pin pricks that made for eyes and they were looking down at the one who had knocked.

Signing out in a high pitched and shrill voice came: "Ya can keep on knockin' butcha can't come in!" Then that small door SLAMMED shut and all was quiet again for a moment.

"That your male son has knockers is really quite disconcerting!" Was shouted through the wood as an afterthought.

The Door

Back to top Go down

Suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at Epiphany's Door. (Open to Epiphany or whatever horridness lurks in The Door) Empty Re: Suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at Epiphany's Door. (Open to Epiphany or whatever horridness lurks in The Door)

Post by Rodry Pol Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 pm

It was a testament to his busy mind that he didn't realize the lack of a handle until his fingers had brushed across the wood where it should have been. It didn't help that he had been watching the door with that intense look and making it all too clear that he may have dealt with magical items of a nefarious nature on previous occasions.

Of course the sound within the door had him stepping back and leaning upon his cane in order to better be prepared for whatever planned to jump out,even if the bright spots of the little things eyes let him giving a low hum of thought. It certainly couldn't be a wood nymph, for no nymph would hollow out a door to live in, they loved living wood. Perhaps it was a wood gnome or a pixie or something of the sort ... surely those sharp little eyes didn't miss the glint of something shiny in the palm of his free hand, something that seemed to have just barely caught enough light to draw attention as he shifted to a more comfortable position with one shoulder pressed lightly against the wall. He clearly expected to be here a while. The little creature within... such a strange set up or a magical door.

Which really made the door that much more of an oddity. After all, it was clear that it was a portal, even if not of the traditional sense. Yet here it dropping little tips. Considering all of the pointed verbal gymnastics to offer up a few different somantic traps to try and better hint at how he was to deal with the door.

"Ah yes, it is most unfortunate. He is a collector, just as his father before him. We have gotten many strange things out of our searches. However if Epiphany is not here, I suppose I haven't any reason to be bargaining with you, hm?"

He stretched a little, loose hand rubbing the bicep of the cane wielding arm. Damnable stairs behind him, equally damnable door before him. Talk about a rock and a hard place. He had however been careful to shift his hand a bit deliberately so that what he had palmed would catch the light. He was sure that the little peep hole at the top of the door wasn't the only way that the thing within could peek beyond it's wooden walls.

"Just let her know that I will bring back that all important thing, which she entrusted to me, that way she will not be worried about it."

A little bored sounding yawn, before he was shifting about around the cane and making his way back the direction he had come. There was plenty of room on the landing for him to settle down and think if it was needed, though he couldn't help but wonder if the door could resist his continued baiting.
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by The Door Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm

How right the man was to assume that he could be watched from more than that small slit of a door on the Door. It was no ordinary piece of wood and it was already notching up a victory win for itself when the guy said that there wasn't any reason for the continual harassment but then.. he was leaving?

He couldn't leave! Not yet! Not yet when it was plainly clear that this man wasn't going to leave behind that ever so lovely and sparkly ball on the top o the cane! He needed it! Well, not really, but he wanted it and that's all that mattered. Now the trick was to not let it overly obvious that the man had something that this Door wanted.

"I did not say that Epiphany was not here...." Said the Door rather slyly, that high-pitched voice of its that was seemingly closer to the lower half of the wall than the actual door. In truth Epiphany was there, somewhere, and the 'where' was behind the Door but to be exact...

The Door was trying to get a closer look at the object that was in the man's hand. "And if you have something that you need to give her, why not give it to me?" No mention on whether or not the Door would actually give it to her or when, only that he could pass it over.

"And you would not have wasted a trip."

The Door

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:29 pm

How very very interesting ... Rodry spent only a moment fighting off a smirk at the doors comment. He was well aware that the door knew where Epiphany was, even if she wasn't here. It certainly would have known when she had last slipped through. He took a few more steps, pausing as almost more of an after thought.

Though perhaps it was that all too familiar feeling in his throat that had stopped him. One hand resting across his chest where he had his hankerchief tucked. He always kept a stash in his breast pockets when he went out. He plucked one free to lightly dab his lips. Even if the sensation seemed to simply be a warning that he shouldn't be quite so ambitious.

Hopefully the door didn't have it's heart set to highly upon getting what it was he was bringing Epiphany. For Rodry knew too damn well about how greedy some fae things could be and there was some curious feeling that what he was dealing with was of that nature.

However, for appearances sake, he looked thoughtful. Unfortunately it wasn't the hand that was resting so pointedly over the top of his cane that had come up to rest it's thumb beneath his chin. The low thoughtful hum drawn out for far longer than need be.

"Quite considerate of you. While I am sure that I could trust you to pass on this thing that I have for her ... I feel that I must place it in her hands myself. Surely you have heard of 'killing the messenger'? I would hate for my rough handling of such an object would result in a poor mood or reaction being brought to bear upon you. You should not have to carry the blame for my mistakes."

Perhaps Rodry was laying it on a bit thick. To keep the little beasties attention he had stretched the fingers of the hand on his cane, even if his dratted dark gloves kept too much light from slipping between his fingers. Once more just enough to catch a nice tempting glint or two.

"There is no such thing as a wasted trip. Especially when it has allowed me to meet such an interesting individual."

Rodry had by now turned about to return to the door. Looking it up and down while he leaned against the wall nearby.

"You could always do me a favor and just let her know I just stopped by, hm? Fellow name of Rodry, Rodry the Jeweler, if she recalls."

And his hand slipped a pair of hands breadths below the cane topper, lifting his cane to lightly tap the wood with that big faceted gem. That diamond had to be as big as a monkeys ... fist. And here Rodry was thumping it against the door just to torture it with the proximity.

"It has been a pleasure, however I feel I must return. It has truly been a fluke for me to be able to come to visit her. It is so rare that I get the time to get away. I fear I may never get a chance to come back and see her chambers."

The faint emphasis was just that, faint. The regret in his tone was not easy to feign either. The thought of trying to make his way up the stairs again was a daunting one after having just managed his way up there. Though perhaps the meaning of those words, that the door may not receive another chance to try and finangle this shiny thing from him might have him feeling a little more concillatory!
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by The Door Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Yes. A fluke. Let him think it was all a fluke and walk on back to wherever it was that he came from taking with him that ...that topper. Those silver pin point eyes were watching from below during the talk and was about to tell to be gone and never again to darken his doorstep when the man said something that made those silver eyes sparkle like jewels!

Frantic scurrying across the wood of the door was heard and before Rodry could even begin to start to make his way away from the Door that small door at the top opened up. "WAIT!" Came the quick high-pitched shrill voice from within the opening. Then came a clearing of the throat as the creature was collecting itself once more.

"There really is no reason for you to go so soon....." The voice sounded light and even kind now instead of mischievous and sly as before. "Especially when you're so free with a name. Understand, I can't service just anyone claiming they're here for Epiphany."

That was true right? True enough for it to be believed as a hardened fact? The Door certainly thought that it was! All full of confidence in what it was saying and everything. The eyes disappeared for only a moment to be replaced by a small tan scroll, pushed out from the small door and rolled halfway down the Door. On this paper were two simple words written in overly elaborate calligraphy "Sign here" followed by a straight horizontal line. "If you would but sign your name on the line I will open to where you can find her."

Then, of course, a pen popped out of the small door, a string attached to it so it wouldn't fall to the floor.

The Door

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:23 pm

It had taken a little longer than he had expected, but there it was. The doors sudden reaction to his leaving that he had been desiring. Of course there was that natural satisfaction that had come from the door reacting the way he wished it to, even if it's tone left him looking thoughtful, behind those sapphire eyes of his wheels were turning.

Honeyed words from a mischief maker, this is hardly a good thing.

Rodry was silent for long moments. Mainly because he was trying to decide just how to respond to the doors words. The emphasis had been clear enough, that was for sure but there was just some minor smugness that made Rodry feel as if he were no longer upon safe ground. He knew better than to give more than he had to. Especially dealing with one who was so intimately attatched to something of power. This door he suspected would have left his teeth humming if he were feeling better.

"Ah, well if you had needed a signature there is certainly no reason to have not said so before. I understand the need to keep track of anyone who comes to see Epiphany."

Here Rodry had been being so very careful, to ensure that he made as few mistakes as possible when dealing with The Door and the impish little fellow that resided with it, yet here he was leaning over faintly, left hand using his cane to support his weight while his right lifted to trace his fingers over the ink and the delicate calligraphy.

"I must apologize, I need my glasses. One moment please."

He hadn't wanted to produce them, for he wouldn't at all be surprised if the door's denzien was sensitive to magic. At least they weren't shiny. However just to be safe he produced them with his hankerchief shielding his brow and leaning in close to the scroll. He expected there to besomething beyond 'Sign Here' written, perhaps by magical means. Which his glasses were designed to reveal. Spectacles of True Form were far from anything to sneeze at! He gave a shrewd glance towards the pen as well. Though reguardless of any revelations, he was quick to tuck them away.

"Seems straightforward, however I will need a receipt that you have received my signature."

He plucked up the pen, straightening that hankerchief against the door and writing out clearly a short little paragraph. Then setting it's tip to the scroll and carefully signing his name. Rodry's script returning to the cramped jewelers scribble, 'Rodry Pol' was clear enough to be made out. Just in case the Door Denzien was shrewd enough to check for any joking.

Rodry's palm rested his weight against the scroll while he passed the pen and his hankerchief back through the door. Just the typical run of the mill contractual mumbo-jumbo had been spaced out. With lines to be signed upon. 'I ____, on this day ____ accepted Mr. Pol's signature.' with a second signature line at the bottom and a spot for initialling. It wasn't until Rodry had eyed that he would release the scroll!

Besides, what could the door do with a pseudonym anyways?
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by The Door Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 am

How wonderful it was that the man was actually going to give his name - even if it wasn't his real name - the Door didn't care! That was not the point after all. What was the point is that person associated themselves to that name and it was one that those silver pen needle eyes watched the man sign with great glee!

And what did the man see through those glasses of his? That the text had a sparkle and shine to it that was like glitter but certainly not a conventional sort. The paper was actually a finely threaded weave of a darkened gold put together by no mortal hand. Despite how these things looked there was no hidden malicious agenda, it was only pretty and otherworldly. Of course, he wouldn't have known any of this if it weren't for those glasses.

Once his name was signed the eyes disappeared and a single note was played from a hidden harmonic, it was the note to get the Door in pitch for it's trademark 'I got a name' song.

"Oooohhhh!
A name, a name
I got a name.

It's not in stone,
but spoke alone

This name I keep
This name is mine
I will not trade it anytime

It's mine
It's mine
It - is - mine!"

But what was this?! Before he had a chance to quickly pull the scroll and pen back up and slam his little door shut he was being given something! That's not important though, what is important is that the man, this Rodry Pol had stuffed something into the Door! Just stuffed it in there like he was stuffing a tissue box or tucking away paper! The Door started huffing and puffing and the edges of that cloth were seen being blown from inside. If the Door could have stomped its foot and crossed its arms it surely would have at the moment.

"HUFF!" The Door said. "Huuuuuu-fa! Hmph!" Clearly it was being stubborn like a child at this point. "How would you like it if someone stuffed you without asking first, hmm? I don't know where you're fingers have been!"

It was a moment later when what he had to sign came flying out of the whole. Filled out as follows:
'I therefore, on this day do accepted Mr. Pol's signature.'
With a copy of the signature line drawn in the space for the signature and two dots on the initial line.

Rodry hadn't explained what the Door was suppose to do, it was a Door, it didn't have much experience in things like filling out forms so it did what it thought he had to do.

Then it swiped his scroll back and that little door at the top of the Door was slammed shut. And all went still for a moment or two. Then the Door started to swing outward from its left side, from within tendrils of white smoke moved out along the floor. The Door opened wide enough for him to step through, though there was nothing to see as the place beyond was the same impenetrable darkness that was in that small door. Also, a bit of a chill laced the opening. There was no sound and nothing to see accept for the blackness and the smoke at the bottom.

Would the man be willing to step into the chilled darkness without knowing what awaited him on the other side? The Door was a tad on the perturbed side.

The Door

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 am

Rodry was curious about the ink and the paper itself. Though he could only wonder just what it was that the page was meant to do. The lack of inscription or anything else was bothersome. Though not nearly as troublesome as his inability to recognize what the page was meant to do.

Yet he still signed that pseudonym. He knew the power of True Names and as such didn't give his own to others. Not even his former pseudonyms had been expressed in years. It made keeping in touch with those he had known difficult.

The song was reminescent of the fae was well, which only left his lips thinning faintly while he clenched his jaw. Good heavens, The Door was more sadistic than he had originally thought. Thankfully it was being derailed quickly enough after he gave it that receipt to fill out.

"I happen to keep my hands quite clean. Hence why I wear gloves."

A little waggle of his gloved hand given, even if he was trapping the scroll with his weight with the other still. His cane resting against The Door at the moment. The sudden 'spit' of the hankerchief had him trapping it against his chest. Even if he was shaking his head after glancing at it.

"No no. You are supposed to sign your name and then date it. The way you filled it out doesn't even make sense."

Rodry did however let go of the scroll long enough to get the pen to rewrte it on the otherside of the hankey. Though the doors sudden snatching of the scroll had him giving a low sigh, even a little shake of his head. The opening however had him going for his cane before it had a chance to fall. Nothing like having no warning before he was having to back up.

The sudden cool air left his breath rattling a bit, making him glad he hadn't put the hankerchief away. The wet hacking that broke free of his lips quickly stiffled against white cotton. Leaving him hanging back from the doorway while he waited for the fit to pass. The murky crimson left him shaking his head.

"Damn cold..."

He stuffed the hankerchief into the outer pocket of his jacket, thankful that he had worn at least his dress coat instead of going without. He stepped closer to the opening, studying the edges that the door had left behind, trying to identify the spell that had created them, even if he didn't waste too much time on doing so!

If this dumps me in the snow door ...

A quick grope with his cane for the ground 'inside' the door to make sure the transition was at least level, before he was moving into the darkness. His feet carefuly to lift over any threshhold and listening for any signs of what he might be wandering into! Not that he likely had time to 'escape' now!

"Thank you for your assistance Therefore."

Nicknaming the recalcitrant door with what it had filled out his 'receipt' with. Hopefully he wouldn't have any complaints about it's behavior when he came across Epiphany! Which Rodry expected would be sooner rather than later!

Then again, perhaps he would have to see what he could do in order to keep the door from messing with him again if it had been taking out it's annoyance on him!

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Inside Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:33 pm

What was behind the Door?

Looking at the sides of the Door and the area it had occupied wouldn't result in anything. There was nothing special there - ironically - that wouldn't be on any standard door. Strange wasn't it? Without the cold feeling, smoke, and foreboding feeling the average person might not have given the Door a second thought.

But now that the mister Rodry Pol had stepped inside ...

The darkness lifted and was replaced with a late afternoon sky that was polluted with black and gray smoke from various burning structures. The ground was hardened and packed down dirt and many of the wooden buildings were on fire. As soon as Rodry stepped through the Door it would vanish, if he looked behind him the only thing to see would be the chaos of Northern Settlement under attack.

Fortunately for the unsuspecting man, the Door hadn’t dropped him off in the middle of goblin fire, no, instead he was stationed in a three-walled horse stable of the settlements council hall, both buildings were nearly entirely made of wood, with stone for only the base foundation and thatch and tar on the roof. Unfortunately, both buildings roofs were on fire – the council hall worse than the stable as that structure was already starting to cave.

Women and young children were running towards a centralized location – the small stone church on the far east side of town – while the men, young and old, did the best that they could to fend off the goblins. In size of numbers it was no contest as the humans were outnumbered three-to-one; and though the had the goblins by height, their farming tools and blacksmith irons could not complete with the hardened steel weapons and ferocity of which the attackers possessed. Bodies of fallen goblins were on the ground but many more appeared human.

The people who were already inside the church watched from the stain glass windows while a few hung at the front double doors beckoning the men outside to hurry quickly and get in.

“Hurry! She can only do it once!” Frantically shouted one of the women who were hanging in the opening of the church doors.

The men heard her and began to try and disengage from their current entanglements to make a heavier press towards the church. It almost seemed as if the men were able to break away from the goblins a bit too easy then again it was easier to retreat than to fight. One of the men nearly stumbled over his own feet in his quick turn around to retreat but that was when he took note of Rodry and confusion momentarily replaced the fear on his face. “You there, you’re not to be here!” For a man his voice sounded like that of an untried youth. Under the saggy hair and color washed-out clothes – if Rodry had good eyes – he’d see that the one talking to him was in his early teenage years.

“Move!” The guy was back to running at that point, and with good reason as the goblins would were on him were approaching again. Not only that, but since he had drawn attention to Rodry, two started in his direction.

What exactly had he come into?

Inside

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 pm

Rodry debated on taking his spectacles out again, but it was something that he wouldn't bother with. There would be ample opportunity to interrogate the door and how it functioned at another point in time. Though considering where he was dumped, it might be suggested that maybe he should have taken that chance before hand.

Even though he knew it would be pointless he turned, effectively taking in the entirety of the fire licked view that he was presented with. Goblins. Of course it had to be bloody goblins. It made his lips curl back in a derisive look that might've peeled paint had there been any around.

The door sure knew how to punch his buttons. Luckily he still had his handkerchief tucked in his pocket. The laundered cloth was pressed over his nose and mouth before the smoke could further irritate his throat.

Vermin. Disgusting little creatures...

The young man however had him lifting his gaze from the ochre skinned goblins long enough to see him and the townsfolk running willy-nilly to the stone building. The windows and the holy symbol were enough to tip him off on it being a church to boot.

Where in Rhy'Din ...

"Go on. Save yourself Boy."

Rodry, on the contrary, moved slowly. Using his cane to help steady himself on the churned up packed earth that searched as the street. Even if the two Goblins coming his way left him grasping his cane just beneath the head. Though the low guttural snarl he gave would be as clear as day to the Goblins. After all, Gobbledygook was their native tongue but just so much gibberish to the humans that weren't familiar with it.

"Your war band should turn back. Death is all that awaits you from my hands. You should know better than to pick on human settlements."

Big words from an elderly man. Something that would have normally been laughable, had that cane he held not given a violent jerk out of shape. The gem head that had been screwed atop of plopping to the dusty earth as it changed. Transforming radically in just a few moments as the goblins charged. Rodry's beaten old cane quickly sharpened, glinting a deadly silver along a blade that was almost comically large. A cross bar at least a half foot wide was bisected by a sapphire the size of a red grapefruit. With that came a handle that was more than a foot long with a solid metal pommel cap that was rounded to fit the palm of someone larger than he. The claymore looked downright comical in the old mans grip.

If the sword wasn't enough to discourage them by sight, perhaps the fact that he was still making his way towards them, even if the blade was being used as a walking stick rather than waved threateningly or held at the ready. Though he was moving towards the church he was more concerned with keeping his throat from going rogue on him than anything else. Rodry sure hoped the Goblin's wouldn't feel any need to harass him further after the little show! After all, there were a heck of a lot of them and even if he did have a considerable dislike for the little slime balls, he didn't really feel put to massacring a town full of them!

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Inside Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:03 pm

It was a good thing that Rodry left his shelter when he did for it wasn't but a minute or two later that the ceiling of it collapsed and flames consumed more of that building. The dry materials caught fire and burned quickly, not only in that building but in various others around the Settlement. From the looks of the ground this place had not seen rain in weeks.

The pair of goblins that were running towards Rodry paused when they saw the cane make its transformation. Fighting against the villagers who had been defending themselves with fire pokers and pitchforks was one thing; but someone with a real weapon was quite another. It wasn't that the goblins were not confident in their abilities - if they all rushed him at once they could likely get in a few good shots - it was only ... unexpected.

Their steps forward had started again but as this man wasn't backing down - indeed he appeared to be coming still - they thought twice and stalled again in their progression. Two of them even turned to one another and said something in low grunted tones while the others broke off to focus their attention to destroying the buildings. Seems like the man was saved. For now.

Stranger to the village or not when they saw him coming towards the church they beckoned him to come faster. However, when were goblins known to be considerate of anyone - especially during a raid - and simply let them walk away? Even when the opponent was bigger and looked to be stronger? The two who had stopped to talk amongst themselves put short bamboo blow guns to their mouths and started firing feathered darts at the retreating males.

One of the women at the door leaned her head inside and shouted something that sounded like: "The goblins are cheating!" Depending on how close Rodry was all depended on how clear he heard that statement. If he did hear it, what was that statement suppose to mean?

"It's only cheating if they hit!," came the responding yell.

By that remark the goblins were playing by the rules as their darts were always aimed to the side or above the intended target. Though, how would a person actual know that if they were fleeing? It may only seem as though they had bad aim! As the other retreated into the church the firing goblins inched closer, trying to keep the people in range of their blow guns.

The interrior of the church was lit with oil lamps, sheltered in sooty frosted glass, and was considered bright with the sunlight coming in through the windows. Aside form the stained glass it was all very basic and small from the wooden benches and pedestal at the front, though there was a skinny spiral staircase that presumably went up to the bell tower. It was in this main room where the residents of the Settlement were huddled together and, if Rodry ever made it there and took a look at the faces, there would be only a handful - like the boy who spoke to him - who looked in their young teens, the rest were most definitely children.

Every one of them dressed in color muted clothes and a little less than squeaky clean.

Inside

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Rodry had obviously dealt with Goblins before. He knew that they were cowardly when actually faced with difficult opposition, something that seemed to be proven correct considering the fact that soon enough they were leaving him be and moving on to their other diversions. Whether it be burning or simply trying to harass the others.

Which he was grateful for, even if it would have been near impossible to try and make him admit. He did his best to keep his mouth and nose covered, even if the dirty air was playing hell with his throat which felt about as gritty as the ashy dirt that was staining his soft soled boots as he made his way towards the church. His progression had been slow considering he didn't offer the goblins his back longer than he had to during his journey. A pluck of the sword and a light swing to catch the point a little farther on, leaning his weight upon it to help himself along.

The solid stone walls of the church were certainly welcoming, especially considering the people who were beckoning his way. The Goblins who were firing towards the backs of the people fleeing might be too intent upon their targets, though most likely not enough for him to catch up to them. Which would be bad for them considering this fellow seemed ignorant of the 'game'. If they were wise enough to keep out of his reach he would reach the church more quickly.

The harsh scrape of the blades sharp tip upon the flags was enough to make him wince, once he had reached the church door of course, there was little he could do to stop the metal from making such a fierce sound. Especially at the moment.

There was more pressing business.

"Get the doors shut and barricaded..."

Coughed into his hand kerchief to whoever had been manning the doors when he had gotten in. He kept a good grip on the blade, leaning his weight upon it while he struggled to calm his throat. The muffled coughs sounded more like someone suffering from an arrow to the chest than a relatively unwounded looking old man.

"Block .... windows."

Arm shifting so that the weapons handle rested in the crook, while his gloved hand pointed towards the glass windows that the people were looking out of. Glass wouldn't discourge goblins much especially if they had slings and decided to start throwing torches inside to try and smoke the humans out.

That harsh cough robbed him of further advice that might have been given towards securing the place. Yet he was getting moving again. Defying the handicap of his breathing as best he could even if his procession was slow by himself. The Children. Where were the others? The women and the elders? Their parents? This made no sense, especially since Rodry was no doubt older than the bunch of these kids collectively.

The sight of all of the children gathered left him looking around, choking back the bile that was stinging the back of his throat. Rodry must not have heard them refering to the goblins cheating. Considering his face when he withdrew the kerchief was not twisted with confusion but deadly seriousness. The harsh croak of his voice stolen from the cough and the acrid stink of the smoke surely clinched the fact he was ignorant of what was going on.

"Get away from the windows, they're not going to hold the fire from the holy building anymore than they did the homes!"

Pointing to the stained glass portals that were just begging to be shattered. The crimson stained kerchief clutched tight in his curled fingers. The men must have been outside still, fighting in another part of the town. Trying to lead the goblins off.

"Where are the rest of the villagers?"

Spoken with as much calm and control he could muster in the situation. These children shouldn't have been left alone. Whatever idiot had formed this plan and left them unguarded obviously thought it would be amusing to see the goblins picking the child-flesh from their crooked dirty teeth!
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Once inside the faces of the children were a mix between disappointment, disbelief, and curiosity, as they did not know the man and wasn't sure what he was going to do or say about the situation as a whole. Most grown-ups that they come across don't often give nods in approval of these type of antics once they found out what was going on. But this guy, he was playing along! There was no ranting and raving, he was telling them what to do to help! Sure it was a bit out of script but as they were taught 'always be prepared to improvise!' even with history. So it was only a moment or two before the older kids of the group moved away from the others and went for the benches to move them to the door. The females started trying to shuffle the younger kids up those steps to the top of the tower. "Got here just in time." aid one of the boys to the 'guest'. "They was 'bout to pound you till that sword came." For kids they were doing a pretty good job. There was definitely the air of teamwork about them as they helped to pile the benches one on the other. Of course, as they didn't know much about how to barricade it was more like an unorganized pile stacked against the door. They didn't know what to do about the windows. Sure, there were a bit of scrolls along the wall of paintings and religious scenes, but they couldn't cover the windows with those could they? One of the females who stayed behind had a cup of water with her - though it wasn't the cleanest water - and she came up behind Rodry and tugged on the back of his shirt, having the cup held up for him to see if he turned around. Offering it to him

Aye, Rodry couldn't help but feel faintly ticked off by those looks on their faces. Mainly due to the fact that he felt that children, even if they be on the cusp of adulthood, should have been better defended than simply tossed in the only stone building. Perhaps it was his natural prejudice against goblins that had gotten him to immediately come to their 'rescue'! Rodry watched them momentarily while they adjusted the benches and started moving them towards the door. Even if he was soon being distracted by the boy who noted his good fortune. "Goblins usually know better than to attack human settlements... I'm surprised your village isn't better armed against attack." Most humans in goblin territory knew better than to leave their villages sprawling and thatched ... "If there are any windows in the tower use whatever you can to cover them." His voice cracking even if he was eventually able to holler after those leading the youngest to the heights to hide. Oh good lord. What were they doing with those benches? Rodry did his best to try and mill through the kids as best he could to get to the door. Seemed like they hadn't even planned on how to do it before throwing them up. "No no ... not like that." Gesturing with a pointing finger to move some of the benches out. Waving them towards the common room, for use on the windows. He turned about carefully, glancing at the water the young woman was handing him and forcing a bit of a smile. "Thanks." Little grit isn't going to kill you. Certainly won't be worse than cinders and ash in your throat. Sipping carefully, even while he commandeered a couple of the boys to wedge the benches as best they could in the door jam. "If they're too long, break them so you can really get them wedged tight, they can be fixed by the survivors." Could they have picked less secure of a position? Even if the building was stone the windows were a horrible feature. A few thrown torches would turn the whole building into an oversized oven... "Help some of the smaller ones into the window sills, stack the benches inside and rest them against the glass." Clearing his throat carefully before sipping at the water. Beggars couldn't be choosers, unfortunately!

The grin on the little girl's face when Rodry took the water from her was priceless. Large grin and wide sparkling eyes, he might as well have done the best thing ever for her. She even went away grinning to run up the steps with the rest of the females. While that was happening the boys - understandably - were happy about being told to break tables. However… the how was another thing. How were they going to break the tables without any axes? Turn them on their sides and jump on the legs. Jump, pull, and simply do the male thing of playing at destruction. "That's a great idea!" Clearly they were all on board for it. The older boy - the one who had spoken to him in town, stepped back from the chaos of it all. "Come on you guys get the windows!" He straightened his back and tried to look large and in charge in his faded colored outfit. "Nothing wrong with adding a bit of flavor to history. These humans are new here and didn't know anything about goblins." Then there was a loud crash from upstairs in the tower followed by "We're okay!! She's just getting ready!" The boy standing next to Rodry grimaced and stomped his foot - so much for trying to be an adult for he was acting his age now with the hint of a tantrum. "Ugh that girl can never get anything right! Don't mind the upstairs. You're doing great." Giving Rodry a wide and confident grin.

Such a precious child. If he didn't know any better he would think that she was totally ignorant of what was going on outside. Poor thing. Rodry had watched her head upstairs before trying to return to 'business'. Considering the fact that he seriously needed to help them figure out what to do in such a crisis. He was surprised the Goblins hadn't stormed the church just yet! Especially considering their seemingly overwhelming numbers they had! "If it's too thick put it against a corner and push on both ends."Leaving the boys to their destruction and barricading while he tried to get them working on those windows. Even if he seemed to have adopted an echo who barked out the orders. His words however had Rodry blinking momentarily. "It's not history unless you live through it." The crash above had him jerking his head that way. Ladders. Could the goblins have assumed they would be defending the lower floor and used hastily constructed siege ladders to try and get at the humans in the stone building? The hasty call left him frowning firmly, though he was giving a shake of his head. "Keep them blocking the windows, make sure everyone has something to defend themselves with even if it's just a piece of wood." Which left Rodry with the task of trying to hobble up the stairs. Even if he was taking the last of that water, trying his best to leave the grit in the cup, before undertaking them. Handkerchief was stuffed in a pocket while he mounted the first step to only realize that the transformation from can to sword had made it too tall for use as a proper cane. Never anything easy. Poor Rodry was having to move up the stairs backwards as carefully as he could in order to use the sword, and his other hand didn't seem to want to move far from the wall. Thank the heavens above that he managed to make it without his throat seizing up on him. He needed to see what they were doing and check if they were making the belfry more secure or not! "We don't have much to spare downstairs if there isn't anything to barricade the windows with ..." He was out of breath, which left him breaking up that warning into a trio of quickly spoken words while he tried his best to breathe and think on his feet while he looked around the room!

And what did Rodry's wondering eyes did see but the remains of dark smoke coming out of a cast iron pot and four of the older girls standing around it. Well, two were standing and the other two were arguing about the pot. "I told[I] you it was two and not three!" was the disgruntled shout of the red haired girl to her pudgy opposition who put her hands on her hips and gave off an awfully large huff. "This is [I]my role and if you've read your papers Mailyn the first is suppose to fail." "We can't waste more time with your nonsense! Hurry up!" Clearly there was some disagreement going on as to who got to do what and when. Aside from the arguing the girls the tower was pretty well secure aside from four arrow slit windows along the side of the tower that faced out to the town, there wasn't any furniture around but there was rope and a large brass bell hanging up high in the ceiling. Some of the younger kids were gathered around one of the windows and standing on their tip toes to see outside. "They're waiting!" came one little girl. None of them were aware of Rodry yet, even though he had spoken to them, as they were lost in the moment with all that was going on. It was almost from out of nowhere that a familiar face would step next to Rodry - though maybe not that familiar as the face was soot covered and the hair was wrapped fully in a rag. "The goblins are going to attack soon and you all will loose!" came the warning and then the owner of that voice was looking at Rodry, her eye brows furrowed. "Oh.. you don't look so good. Need some water? Come sit or.. stand. They'll be okay." Smiling and confident, it was indeed the person that he had come through the Door to see.

The fact that they seemed to be arguing about something that seemed mighty inconsequential, he didn't think much of them. He was much more interested in the windows considering they were in good position for him to see what was going on in the rest of the town. He glanced up towards the bell to see whether the belfry openings would be a problem, but they were high enough up that he didn't expect that the flat footed goblins would be able to get up that high. His true concern was whether there would be any Hob's among their smaller cousins. They were a good deal more dangerous. Rodry was making his way across the room to pass the chattering females and check the windows when Epiphany piped up. The sight of her in this unfamiliar place, blending in among the peasant children left him nearly stumbling when he didn't quick get the swords tip to leave the floor for his next stride. ".... Epiphany? What're you doing here? Where are the rest of the adults? I can't defend the lower room if the Goblins bust through the barricades. You wouldn't happen to know how to fight them would you?" Only after he had given another hasty nod when she had asked whether he would like some water. Honestly Rodry would have truly liked something that would help him feel more up to defending a bunch of kids from a warband of bloodlusting Goblins! "I should be able to cover the stairs if we can get everyone up here, but I doubt they would bother taking the time to try and break in, it's more likely they would just let the place burn down around us." Speaking as quickly as his treacherous throat would allow.

It did look odd, didn't it? Epiphany here with the kids, her seeming calm in all of the 'chaos' of the attack, like it was an ordinary thing to her. If Rodry had gotten the chance to steal a glance out the window he'd see that the goblins had made a tight semi circle around the front of the church and were in deed waiting as the little girl had cried out earlier. Their weapons were at the ready - some of them with blazing torches in hand - waiting for what was suppose to happen next. "Don't worry about it. They're going to win," as she gave him a light pat on the back as she heard his coughing. "It's in the history, they are just taking a bit longer. Robbin was nervous of her part." all of it may have sounded confusing to Rodry who was already confused? "They are learning about the Goblin Wars of 1612." As though that explained everything she rocked on the back of her heels and headed to the stairwell. "Can I get some water? Clean water!" Making sure to emphasize that. "Charlie's blacking out the windows!" "I am not!" kids.. what were you going to do right? She stayed by the steps but watched the two girls by the pot who finally seemed to have gotten over their differences and all four girls were working together and had produced something that had a white smoke coming from the top. One of the other girls got small bottles and they started spooning the mixture into the bottles. "Can we throw them now?" Asked Marilyn expectantly and when she saw Epiphany waving a hand off at her they were taking their bottles to the windows and started throwing them to the ground. No sooner did they do that before it was followed by mini explosions and screams. Goblin screams of course.
Epiphany
Epiphany

Number of posts : 615

http://www.bebo.com/iastepiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Odd didn't even begin to describe it. It was as if she had just shown up in one of Rodry's dreams. Where her presence would have been completely unimagined or appropriate no doubt. The brief glance he had gotten had been enough to spot torches and Goblins looking ready to use them. Not nearly enough to let him check for flanking units or anything else that would be important. "You mean the fighters are going to flank the Goblins out front?" Good gods. He needed to get down below and set up a distraction or .. or something! Though when she made a reference to history, as the boy had, he was shaking his head. "What are you talking about, we've got a warband on the doorstep ..." This said while he turned towards the stairwell. Even if her words had him stopping to turn his head back towards her with an almost disbelieving frown perched on his face. "... Learning about them...?" This said more under his breath than anything. Yet the atmosphere wasn't at all what would have been appropriate. The good natured bickering, the kids without any sign of adults... It was something that left Rodry following the children back towards the windows. Staring out at the little vials they had tossed and listening to the screaming goblins. Oh boy. That almost would have been quite bad. The hand that was gripping the swords handle tightened faintly. Even if he felt the metals steadfast resistance to his attempt to influence it back into it's other shape. Bollocks. "Well." Sounding actually more embarrassed than mad. "You mean to say that isn't a real Goblin warband?" Luckily for her Rodry wasn't the type to blow up over such things. Even if he felt his head pound sympathetically for his heart, which was still pounding with adrenaline. "But the bodies ..." Good lord, Pip put Rodry into shock. He had mentioned the bodies on the ground, both human and goblin, as if they were stacked cordwood rather than dead people!

From down the stairs the boys were cheering and calling childish obscenities to the fleeing goblins because they felt victorious and the girls were busy taking all the bottles that they were provided with - there was a try next to the cast iron pot with the bottles lined on it - and tossed them out the window. "Sir, you want to throw one too? You helped." That was the offer from the little girl who had given him the water earlier downstairs. Epiphany was chuckling a bit and accepting a cup from one of the boys who brought it up the stairs. "Thank you," to him. then back to Rodry. "Oh, no no. well. Yes and no. It was a real goblin band that attacked this settlement back in history and if you had crossed blades with them out in the field you'd find that the now retreating goblins appear very real too. From every aspect of them that I can remember…." there was a slight pause. "though parts of their internal anatomy may be a bit off.. anyway.. here you go." Smiling at him she headed to the man to offer a cup of clean water. They bleed, you would bleed and the bodies are real too. Well.. they may as well be real." She was looking at Rodry's face, it was slowly sinking in to her that all of this may have been a bit much for him to take in. Not everyone was able to handle such a thing. Even those who knew what it was because there wasn't much of a 'safety switch' here. If you got hurt, you were hurt. "Maybe you need a chair.. Girls? Find Rodry something to sit on!"

It was a stunning thing to simply imagine, let alone to experience. The fact that all these kids were 'fighting off' Goblins. Imaginary goblins. Pretend goblins? It was something that, needless to say, made the fact that he may have killed some of them quite an interesting issue. Thankfully they had run rather than challenge him! He simply shook his head a bit at the little one who had asked him about throwing a bottle. Maybe there had been something in the water she had given him that would explain his sudden dazed look. The very fact that she was calmly talking about this imaginary ... place ... situation, was disconcerting. "I thought they looked a little on the tall side..." Though again that was said as if he were speaking more for his own ears than hers. At least the Goblins hadn't been kids dressed up as goblins. Now that would have been bad. Rodry seemed to be sluggishly recovering, eyes focusing gradually on the burning houses below before he shook his head as if to clear away a bad thought. Rodry didn't look too bad, sure there was a bit of soot streaking his face and just a bit of blood crusted at one corner of his mouth, but he didn't look hurt. Luckily. "No! ...No. I'm alright. Just a bit winded is all." Head given another quick shake. Making the braid that hung past his shoulders bob faintly. Good gods that could have been bad! Epiphany didn't even realize, couldn't realize. "At least your Door didn't cast me out to sea, I brought back your bracelet." Seeming surprisingly ready to speak on matters that didn't require such a stretch on someones imagination or understanding! Belatedly his free hand came up to take the proffered water. Once more letting the swords crossbar act as a rest for his forearm. Talking as calmly as if they were in his room once more, rather than in a building that was starting to reek of smoke from the surrounding buildings. "When did you have cause to encounter goblins?" Said while he glanced around at the children, seeming almost to truly look at them for the first time since arriving!

Even as Rodry was saying that he was 'just a bit winded' one of the girls - she looked about ten - was carrying a large upside down bucket in her arms. It was upside down because it was positioned to be set down as a seat. Now she was looking a bit confused and looked between the man and Epiphany who patted her hand down in the air and mouthed 'you can leave it' to the girl before she did just that. "They probably were a little tall.. but if you would have come a few days ago you would have been on a boat as that's how these people got here. By boat." Yes and wouldn't that have just been great? On a boat that was violently rocking in stormy thunderous seas. "Though maybe I should have warned you? Though on that note I'm not sure what i would have warned you of as there's no way for me to actually know what would be going on when you came to the Door….." Trailing off there in thought for a moment, she even held out a finger to him, silently asking him to wait a moment or hold that thought, and she moved to the girls by the windows. Like the rest of the females there she had on the faded color clothing and wore a skirt and bodice with cloth shoes. "Okay girls, time to get with the boys and find somewhere to be. Maybe start putting out those fires…." as he was right, the smoke was starting through and drifting. "Can't have it burn everything can we? Or ask Oden to get the lunches out." that was followed by the clamor of the kids running down the steps and the din that ensured when all the kids mixed together. She went to the pot and began putting out the fire that was under it. "You did do a good job out there. I was watching through the window. So! you finished the bracelet? That's great! I'll take it when I take the kids back.." she looked slightly sheepish, like the words 'tee-hee' could have easily come out of her mouth.

Now that would have been amusing. How in the world would Rodry ever pull off that broody two hands resting on the top of his cane position sitting on a bucket and with his cane-cum-sword being far too large for such a thing? At the mention of a boat his eyes widened momentarily before he shook his head. "Well that’s certainly the last thing I would have needed..." Good thing he hadn't come then! Then again, perhaps she was just teasing Rodry because she recalled his mentioned displeasure about riding a boat back when she had implied he would have made a good pirate? "Oh it is ... quite alright. No harm done. I was just surprised. Plunked down in a burning village, Goblins attacking peasant children and things ..." She had said that the bodies were real ... or as real as they could be. It left him wondering if she were going to be coming up short of a few kids. Rodry's eyes followed after the children she dismissed. Leaving them in relative privacy while she busied herself with the veritable cauldron she had the girls working with. "Children from your orphanage?" Asked while they made their general ruckus. Honestly, Rodry had to wonder how she could keep from losing them all if they were dealing with such realistic denizens... "Thanks." He had turned back towards the window. Finally letting the sword rest against the wall, even if his fingers idly brushed their glove covered tips over the blue stone that was central in it's decoration. "It only needed a little Tender Loving Care... unbuttoning his coat as he realized the heat of the chamber. The breeze blowing the flames certainly didn't help anything! "The children are lucky to have someone willing to teach in such a hands on manner... not many would have such courage." Lifting the cup, from where he had been holding it close to his chest, taking a slow pull. "And should I be worried about having downed a cup of the local water?"

"Um.. no." She was a bit unsettled as some of his questions about the place pertained to how how could be in the first place. "It was only a bit dirty. Despite the realistic nature of the place it's not so real that you can catch any host of the diseases that were around back in that time. I….." she took a moment to scratch the back of her neck in thought. "I can't create in that much detail. I can make people have a certain illness, cosmetically if they are a real person, or really if they're a created person, but to create germs and viruses that's.. not something I've really put any thought into doing." It was an interesting thought though and clearly she was thinking about it from the look in her eyes. "That would be a bit too dangerous though. yeah.. you could have been in worse places! " She took a seated position on the floor around where Rodry was. "This is only some of the kids. The activity is really for the for the older kids but I used some of the younger ones as extras." Smiling brightly at that. "Because you can't have a town with only a few people and no kids right? The Nun's worry about my ways at times but…. we have fun." Even though she had told him the water was fine she looked at the cup and then at him, just curious is all and then waved off a silent thought. "Some places are really real. Just.. that there are not many places around here that I've found that I could burn down a village and not have officials and all that on my case. Or catch an innocent bystander. Besides! Last time I actually tried to get real goblins to work with me on something it went terribly wrong."

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Who knew what it was that seemed to distract him from how this existed. Rodry seemed to be a surprisingly open minded and easy going fellow considering circumstances! He seemed to work his jaw a little. Was he grinding his teeth or simply chewing on what she said?

"Well. I am glad to know I won't have to worry over catching anything."

Eyeing his glass almost ruefully, as if cursing himself for having not seen through the 'illusion' before. Yet he listened stoicly as she talked so calmly of getting into biowarfare. Seemed that Rodry was a catalyst for Epiphany having all sorts of interesting thoughts and ideas. No doubt before long Epiphany would be an arms dealer if she kept having these ideas!

She was doing something great for those lucky kids. Yet she was right. It wouldn't have fooled him if the town had been filled with children too young. It was the lder teenagers that had made it believable.

"Your responsible enough I think. Even if I must worry over the slower or weaker of the children ... They seemed to be well taken care of."

He leaned heavily on the blade while he turned to glave out the window again. Seeming thoughtful.

"Though I must wonder where exactly we are ... this is a ... most interesting change of pace. We must be some distance outside of populated areas ... this much smoke would attract attention from even the most lax of authorities."

However, what she had said was enough to get his lips to thin while they drew into a faint smile. Even if he didn't ask her to elaborate on what had happened. If it had turned out badly ... he could only imagine that it might be a point of sore memory.

"Well, reguardless of what I thought was going on ... do you need any help? I can at least help pass out sandwhiches."

A faint grin given, though by now he was moving again. Having leaned down carefully to place the nearly empty cup on the bucket that had been brought for his use as a seat. Scorned as firmly as the goblins had been. Though descending the stairs was a little easier than climbing them when he got to the task!

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Rodry got up and started moving and so she got up too! No point in staying on the floor to talk to a man who wasn't going to be in the room. Epiphany got up with ease and dusted off the skirt she wore - the floor was dirty - and started following after him.

"They had all types of people in these situations," saying as she followed after. "The young, old, sick, invalid.. sure those are easy targets to raiders. I think that might be the story behind some of the bodies on the ground...." She trailed off a bit as she thought about that. Not really sure Epiphany couldn't say who the people were on the ground or their story. She could make one up, but that would be for another time.

For now they were moving and he seemed rather interested in wanting to help out in some form and fashion. As he was descending the stairs the way down would seem shorter than the way up, like it was fewer steps, or perhaps the ground level somehow rose up to meet the top. "But you won't have to worry about stepping over dead bodies while going to the bakery to get food. They're gone." He said he could help pass out sandwiches so that's the route on help she was going to take.

The children had abandoned the ground floor of the church and the items that the guys had stacked against the door had hastily been moved aside so the door could open. Outside held all the activity as some of the children were putting out the rest of the fires and the others were gathered about what could only have been the bakery. A stone and mortar building with a thatched roof it was one of the only structures in the settlement that looked untouched by what had happened not too long ago. White smoke was rising from the chimney and the smell of fresh bread mixed in oddly with that of burned buildings and extinguished flames. Two girls were walking towards the building, one with a basket of apples and oranges and the other wobbled back and forth, obviously struggling with a load that was too heavy; water sloshing over the sides. If anything was for certain it was the fact that these kids knew the value of hard work and effort?

When she was able to Epiphany walked next to Rodry, it was easier for conversation and let her look at him with a inquisitive eye. "You're not the type that would go into shock if I told you that you really were not in a real place, but were actually in a 10 x 10 box would you?" a slight pause. "Give or take a bit, I can hardly remember the precise dimensions anymore as it's been messed around with so many times." She tagged on a laugh at the end and stretched her hands above her head. Rodry would be fine with it right? He had been good about everything else so surely the concept of ... this ... wouldn't be to disturbing?

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:42 pm

"The old and sick have their places ... this much is true."

Something he seemed almost reluctant to admit, even if it hadn't truly been the point he had been trying to make. Though on second thought, the point wasn't all that important anyways. Rodry imagined that Epiphany was someone who wouldn't readily bring harm to anyone. While she was certainly eccentric, she seemed harmless.

Even if her casual mention of creating and forming so many things ... might've been disturbing to many. Rodry was just lucky to have enough experience with the supernatural and arcane to not be easily spooked.

The shortening of the stairs had him turning back to glance back along their length. Visually checking the mental counts he had made on the way up and the way down. When one lived with physical health of Rodry's caliber, every exertion was measured.

Distraction.

"Gone? Surely you haven't gotten the children to collect them..."

Yet when they managed to make it outside, with the soft hiss of metal across stone punctuating Rodry's every step, her words were pointedly true. Not a body, other than the children who were working. For a long moment Rodry just stood there. Leaning upon that too large sword while Epiphany made her way out of the church as well. Rodry stood there momentarily, eyeing her with an almost reflective look upon his features.

You've grown so much Pip.

Yet he remained silent, a hand searching for his spare kerchief. While the air was improved, he couldn't help but be leery about it. Rodry made his way towards the only building that sported smoke rising only from it's chimney.

"Weirder things have been known to be commonplace in Rhy'Din. Surely it's not the most unbelievable thing I have known."

Though Rodry had to wonder how much of his experience would translate into reality on the far side of 'the box'. How much of it translated from the metaphysical to the physical? Would he come to with his coat smelling of smoked thatch and charred flesh?

Rodry couldn't help but frown faintly and nod towards the girl carrying the water over her shoulders. He wanted to reach out and help her, though he would no doubt struggle with it more than she.

"I think she may need a hand."

Nodding towards her, even if the look on his face was rueful, obviously because he couldn't help himself! Yet now that they were within hailing distance of the bakery he glanced the children over. Wondering if he should give them a hard time about having not warned him! Though he was speaking to Epiphany again, rather than ribbing the children about picking on an old man.

"Is the 'box' a physical manifestation or more along the lines of a pocket dimension?"
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:03 pm

She could have told Rodry that whatever happens in the box is real - because it was - but perhaps she thought that it was self explanatory? If he was stabbed here and loss a lot of blood when he was taken out of the box he would still have been stabbed and lost the same amount of blood. The person was physically in whatever reality designed in the box.

When he turned to look at her Epiphany would only smile back, happy and pleased at what she was seeing as far as the children getting things ready for lunch and extinguishing the fires. Let it not be said that this girl cared about Child Labor Laws for if there was such a thing in this realm she didn't know of it and, if she did, there was a good chance that she may not have paid it much mind. The kids were working, yes, but didn't everyone work? Perform some type of task? She never worked them to the bone or forced them into labor, the task they did taught teamwork, camaraderie, and the value of hard work. In this girl's opinion there were too many people who never worked for anything because they had special powers or abilities but she wanted these kids to know - even the ones who did have 'special abilities' that there was more satisfaction in working for what you wanted than having it handed out for no reason.

The bodies were gone mostly because, though she had put them there, she had seen too much death to simply leave dead bodies laying around and she didn't want them handling corpses.

"I sincerely hope that you know, or been unexposed to, more unbelievable things Rodry," Epiphany chuckled as she rocked back on her heels, "Or we may have to reconsider this relationship." Those who did not like the odd and strange shouldn't hang around this girl - it was bad for their state of mind.

As things were underway at the Bakery the smell of ham and cheese drifted out to join the other mixture of smells in the air. Guess at what the kids were having for lunch! If they continued towards the building a couple of long wooden tables were seen at its side. The younger kids were sitting while the older ones were giving them clay fashioned cups of water and plates with smoked ham and cheese sandwiches. A bowl of fruit was on each table. Rodry didn't have to worry about the girl struggling with the bucket for one of the boys came out to help her bring it the rest of the way.

"They're good kids, really," came Epiphany's sudden remark. "I mean they fight and argue, disagree with each other and things like that, but that's normal. In the end things always work out. Hungry? You can chop the meat or ... the bread?" She didn't know what type of help he wanted to give.

This side note gave her time to think over his question about the Box. "And I.. I think I would have to go with the Box being a physical manifestation unlimited except by the boundaries of my emotional and mental state." That seemed about right and she puffed up and chest while she gave a short nod. "Or maybe it's that inside of a pocket dimension?"

Clearly she wasn't sure.

"Because if you opened the Door you'd see the hallway and step out to it, but if you opened the Door and looked in you wouldn't see this right now, you'd see black. The Door simply gets you to wherever you want, or it wants, you to go. Who knows, next time you go through the Door you could end up in my actual living room that's an actual real place." Or anywhere she happened to be.

"Then again, it will take to long to take them back home if we leave the Inn, so the Door will drop us off at the bottom of the hill by the church. It's kind of a one-way ticket with that route." So how Epiphany got back from some of the places the Door had dropped her off at was anyone's guess! "Two hours here is the same as two hours outside." Maybe that helped to explain a bit more about where they were. There were some things that Epiphany simply accepted. If she thought too much of the physics and mechanics of how something like this worked it would likely boggle her mind and she didn't need any doubts and questions shaking this reality.

Epiphany tapped herself on the head. "Takes a lot of stability to hold something like this together." Because the Settlement was intense! Though, truthfully if Rodry were to slip away and duck back inside that church he'd find it to be nothing but an empty stone building. She may have had a great imagination but she'd exhaust herself if everything was fully equipped and functional all the time!

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:55 pm

It definitely seemed to behave more like a pocket dimension than a metaphysical field. That much Rodry could say with a considerable amount of certainty. Though her ability to warp the place to her will ... it seemed that someone had worked quite hard to create this pocket dimension for Epiphany's use. Perhaps he would have a chance to study the door and the passage into the dimension with more time and detail. He was most curious about the spell used to create and bind the dimension!

The lack of the corpses left him glancing briefly to Epiphany, as if to ask her whether he should be expecting giant carrion birds to swoop down on them after they had finished their meal, not that he thought Epiphany was irresponsible, but if anything he had picked up on her fondness for adventures and excitement!

"Despite the danger of sounding like a doddering old man, repeating myself. I've seen a lot Epiphany. If I hadn't encountered a pocket dimension before ... I would have to wonder what I was doing settled here in a Rhy'Dinian-esque inn."

His throat giving a low chuckle from behind that masking kerchief, obivously he didn't see it as a bad thing. It wasn't like this was an activity designed to relax and help him recover from his illness! It was certainly more taxing than lying abed or reading in his comfortable chair by a roaring fire!

"I think that it will take a bit more than what you might show me to leave me rethinking a friendship Epiphany."

If nothing else could be said about Rodry, he was a tenacious and tough old bird when his body wasn't betraying him!

Rodry couldn't help but feel satisfied to see the children working together, though her quick defense of them had him shaking his head. He could understand perfectly, Rodry knew well about how children could be.

"I would never think otherwise Epiphany, I have three children of my own. I believe I told you that?"

He honestly had to wonder why she felt a need to defend them, they seemed to work very well together and he hadn't seen any fighting, other than briefly around that cauldron about who was adding what and when. Though when he was offered to either slice ham or bread, he seemed to ponder momentarily.

"The bread."

The two of them no doubt seemed unusual to the children, talking technically about something that defied explaination! He moved slowly to the table where the bread was laid out. Leaning his sword slowly against the table. Making sure that it was stable. The last thing he needed was to let a kid accidentally knock it over on themselves. He leaned against the table, tucking away that kerchief before taking up the knife.

Honestly, the change of the air quality after she was done playing with the smoke and gloom of a fire ravaged settlement made it much easier for him to breathe, so he felt much improved. Enough so that it didn't take him long to gauge the slices so that he was making them at a respectable speed. Even if he wasn't as familiar with cutting bread as he may be other things. Speaking while he cut.

"You leave me wondering whether you speak seriously or are simply playing fun at an old man and his technical curiosities."

A low laugh given.

"...in which case I would have to applaud you for sounding utterly convincing until the last part."

His amusement showed in the glint of those sapphire blue eyes of his, bright in a face
that might or might not still be stained by soot. Apparently according to Epiphany's whim! There was something minorly disturbing about being in such a position when the person who apparently had control of this place had already displayed such a pleasure in being unusual and whimsical. Kept him on his toes, figuratively of course.

"Walking won't kill me, at least I don't think. Though I might need a hand with that. Not sure how New Haven is about open arms."

A meaningful nod given to the claymore beside him. Getting around without acane was a little difficult for him to say the least! Especially when he was being gagged by smoke due to someone. Another loaf had been sliced neatly, though he paused while the sandwhiches were made. Not wanting to slice too much bread!

"Perhaps I shall see about studying the door. I'm quite curious about how it works, though I will be sure to keep my coin purse in my room. I doubt the door would leave me in peace long enough to try and discern what was going on."

Unfortunately enchantments and spells tended to be painfully intricate, so it would likely take a few hours at least for him to even get an idea of how 'The Box' worked! Even if he would count it time well spent.

"Though after this, perhaps you should look into getting a pegboard made. That way you can mark where people can see where you might be. That way they'll know if they're about to be dumped into a village fire..."

The amusement in his smile remained, even if he was more than half serious. Some people weren't as strong of heart as Rodry. Nothing like her having a heart attack on her hands right?

Last edited by Rodry Pol on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:10 pm

After Rodry made it clear that he wanted to handle the bread the boy who had been handling it stepped aside. There were other things to be done. Things like ogling the sword that was now accessible and visualizing swinging it around in their mind.

Epiphany smiled at the kids and even ruffling the hair of one of the smaller boys who ran through the kitchen and out to the tables. "A peg ... board?" Epiphany inquired with no small amount of confusion in her voice. "How would that work? Marking where I am when technically I am behind the Door?" More or less right?

"Unless you're meaning that the board say, 'hi, I'm currently engaged in the Goblin Wars of 1612, enter at your own risk?' But, doing that would take the fun out of it? Not to mention the Door may mess with it for fun." Ha-ha! She wouldn't put it past the Door to do just that and a bit more. "I hardly get visitors anyway," was tagged on to the end, almost as an after thought spoken softly and given a small shrug.

She was watching him cut the bread, though she didn't simply stand there and engage in chatter, but she took the pieces and helped to put together the rest of the food. "I do remember you telling me about your kids, at least the daughter, right?" Truthfully that was all that she could remember. Something about having his daughter bring him a thing or two from home was it?

"The well off people I see in the Rich Quarter of the Marketplace tend to look down on or act like kids like these have something wrong with them. You should see their kids, all dressed up in tight collars and ruffled clothing, the only thing that makes them seemingly better than these kids, besides the lack of parents, is their social standing. But, if you give them both an opportunity to learn and access to the same thing, you'll see that they are the same." Epiphany liked to believe that, that all kids, and people, were the same at the core. People were 'dressed' in different packaging.

She leaned towards him a bit as she put food aside for the two of them. "Truth to tell, I like to think my kids are the better ones." Well she had to take pride in them! Many of the kids here she brought in herself from the streets or worked with since they were small things. Relationships that spanned years and, because of this, they didn't think anything she did was too strange anymore. They knew better.

Now if only all the Nuns and Priest of the Church thought of her in the same light as the kids.

She didn't say anything to his wanting to examine the Door - seems like he was thinking about it enough on his own and she wasn't about to pursued him either way. He had his run in with the Door and if an examination was something he wanted to do then she would mentally wish him luck and be sure to keep an eye out for if he suddenly disappears from the area.

It looked as though they were done, and the kids were already eating as evident by the pocket silence followed by burst of conversation. Eating and talking. Eating and talking.

"Come on now, surely you must be hungry. You're breathing better anyway, yes?"
She hadn't seen too much of a fuss over his cloth or smelled any extra blood in the air. The children scooted down to make sure there was room.

"Mister man sir?" came the words of a shaggy haired girl sitting on the opposite side of the table when she saw him. "Are you a Knight?" Question obviously came because of the sword!

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Well unfortunately for those boys Rodry was apparently highly aware of any temptation and anyone he caught coming close would earn a careful warning look. Though if he had to he would reach out and swat any roaming fingers or hands. With a warning of how sharp the weapon was and that it wasn't a toy!

Didn't help that the claymore was as big as most of the smaller boys to start with!

"Yeah, I used to have my little ones do it when they weren't old enough to stray from home long."

Speaking and gesticulating with the knife to try and describe the board that he had written different destinations and even a little chalk slate so they could scribble in someplace that he hadn't thought of. So he could know where they were at all times by just glancing at the board.

"Well I am sure that you could probably discourage it. While it seemed ignorant of some things I think it is highly intelligent. I was under the impression that The Door was simply an animated object before meeting it."

The look on his face at her mentioning not getting many visitors was half disbelieving and thuroughly ignorant as to why. Poor Epiphany might have trouble finding someone as easy going in some ways as Rodry!

Unfortunately, he wasn't going to hold his tongue. Even if he did lower his voice so as not to attract the childrens attention!

"What do you mean you haven't many visitors? Why ever not? While the door may be an obstacle, it is not impossible to overcome. Even for a broken old man."

He gave her time to think and consider her answer, slicing in silence before setting the knife aside. Though he sure hoped that Epiphany didn't mind him scooting over to help her assemble sandwhiches. Even if he had been sure to wipe his gloved hands off on something clean before hand!

"Well I have three. Two daughters and a son. An older daughter and then the twins who suggested Tel'ranaemyn as a possible change of scenery for me. Aurora, yes. Perhaps I could introduce the two of you. She said she should be arriving at the inn soon enough last time she ... called."

She could no doubt pick up on the faint bias he held towards the twins, some old family animosity? From Rodry? Now that didn't really jive with what she had known of him so far. Then again, what could one guess from merely a few words of a full story? There was a slight hesitation as well when he had said called. As if it weren't the right word for it, but was as close as he could think of.

Epiphany brought up very valid points. Though Rodry could only shake his head faintly at her description of the higher class. Luckily for her, just because Rodry had manners and seemed to make a point of dressing well, it didn't mean that he was a snob.

"I would more readily agree with you. If you tried to put higher class children into a situation like the one they were just in, they would be far from able to work together well enough to even dream of surviving an attack like that. Even if you are in control of the goblins and such. I believe an upbringing where they have to work or deal with their own brand of adversity, whether it be because no one believes in them or simply coming from a walk of life that they don't have the freedom to snub others. It builds character."

Then he came up for some air before he turned blue in the face. Yet it was true. He could already see how cohesively these little ones worked with one another. It would serve them well as they grew to know that they could accept help from others without being 'weak'. Not to mention it taught them much needed tolerance.

There was a talent. Watching out for something to not be around. Hopefully he wouldn't be busy for a few days and leave her threatening the door with a woodchipper!

"I could definitely eat. Though it has been a while since I have had a picnic like this and of course, I am breathing a bit better. I think it might be the fact the airs not full of thatch smoke anymore."

Perhaps Epiphany had stopped concentrating upon it? The air certainly smelled a good deal fresher. Just some nice baking bread scent. In fact the worst his throat had treated him had been earlier on when he had been leaving the church and the air had still been fouled. Yet unless her nose was highly sensitive the scent of blood would be missed, what he had coughed was in his 'dirty' pocket.

Of course, that sword came along with him, at least as far as would be prudent considering they were sitting with the children. Far enough away to keep them from running into it or anything as unfortunate as that, but close enough to be at hand as well as near enough for him to reach out and disrupt any of them who might feel the need to touch it too readily. He was in the process of settling on the bench, when the little one piped up. For just a moment Rodry looked almost wistful, glancing briefly Epiphany's way as if reflecting on some private joke.

"... I was. Once. I was even known as a Lord some time ago. Before this happened."

Smiling a bit while he reached up to tug lightly on the iron gray hue of those bangs that were trimmed at cheekbone length, but kept out of his face. At least when they cooperating.

"And please. Call me Rodry or Mr. Pol Little one."

Lifting a hand and twiddling his fingers her way. Though he was now just waiting for the boys and girls to jump in asking about dragons and princesses and all of that sort of thing next. Though Rodry was wisely hiding behind half his sandwhich before they could swarm!
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:50 pm

"I told you he was a knight!" That little girl leaned full on the table, laying on it in fact, so she could nearly virtually rub her face and the information into the boy who sat two people down on her right.

"Na-uh!" the boy replied, leaning right back across to a bit of disgruntlement from the other kids who had to move their plates or have them pushed out the way. "You said he was a king, and he's not."

"So! A king's a knight first Brandon!" Pausing in her mini tirade now to turn a sweet, smiling face to Rodry. "Isn't that right, your Majesty Sir Mister Pol?" Sweet, smiling face with one missing front tooth and she was batting her eyes as it was something she was told to do or knew it helped win her cases.

Before Rodry could pipe in - which he couldn't right away as he was eating - one of the other boys, who now had his plate balancing on the tables edge thanks to the leaned in ones, cut in. "He says he ain'ts no'mo --"

"Isn't anymore." Epiphany interjected around a bite of her own sandwich.

"...right. He isn't. So it don't much matter."

Of course, that got the some of the kids around the table into talking about once a king always a king, and knights that would be kings and how the bravest of them - mostly the boys -should be knighted for their valiant efforts in fending off the goblins.

Epiphany's wonderings about Aurora were put on a slight hold as she would never be able to hold down a conversation like that while the young ones were discussing and looking in Rodry's direction for vindication on their words. Therefore, she leaned to him and whispered, "I think they just want a story."

"Storytime!" Apparently her whispering wasn't quite whispered enough as chants of 'Story! Story! Story!' began through both tables.

Could anyone blame them? Didn't matter that they just finished playing out a story, this 'former knight who could have quite possibly have been a king' had a story! They were not going to pass that up.

Why didn't people visit Epiphany? Well, that's a story all itself.
Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Not only was he eating, Rodry was now quite busy hiding behind his sandwich because he knew that the knighthood question would of course bring up the stories that the children so desperately wanted to hear. The two of them were already showing those signs and heck. He should have expected it from just the looks they had been shooting the way of his sword and him since he had shown up.

It was all well and good to be a mysterious stranger who had come to help save these same kids, but now Rodry was seen as something other than a stranger! While he would have felt bad about it regardless, telling them no to a story was more than just an inconvenience.

That adorable little gap-toothed face wasn't helping the reluctant part of his psyche.

"I don't think I would be much use as a knight anymore, Children. There's a reason there are very very few old Knights."

Giving a soft little laugh. He had taken only a bite of his sandwich but he placed it upon his plate again. Covering it with a clean kerchief. Forgetting about the lack of flies it seemed, though it would be like Epiphany to be imagining flies or ants to just make their lunch interesting!

"Alright children, alright. We'll have a story. If someone will get me a few glasses of water?"

Spoken with the quickness that he expected would be needed to beat the sudden flurry of activity to 'help his majesty'. Pip had best not think he had forgotten that question he had asked her! Rodry however straightened slowly, moving to his feet slowly leaning to get that sword before he was peering about. Looking like he was searching for something. Voice lowering conspiratorially

"Epiphany, a barrel or high chair perhaps?"

Sounding like he expected her to magic one out of thin air for him, yet he was slowly lifting that sword letting the flat of the blade slowly run along his palm. Holding it in both hands with palms open. Showing them the unmarred and notch free blade, the silver looking almost as if it had been polished to a mirror sheen. Even the tip that had been being dragged on the stone floor of the church and pushed into the dirt packed streets. The double wide, edged cross bar and the handle was formed of the same metal. Though the huge sapphire in the center looked like it would weaken the design. Yet Rodry could attest to the weapons strength. Then there was the handle that was nearly as long as his fore arm. Designed for hands that were massively larger than Rodry's own. Then the rounded pommel, it was an impressive weapon. Looking at it might give a sense of familiarity to Epiphany. She had seen the weapon before. Though certainly not in the hands of an old man!

"This is my sword. It has seen me through much in my life, but a wise teacher taught me ... that a sword is not the perfect embodiment of what a Knight should be."

Fingers drumming on the surface. While many of the boys might argue, he simply pressed on. Glancing about at the kids briefly, meeting each gaze with his own. Those eyes which looked as if the sapphire of the sword had been harnessed in his face.

"I tell you this because I've seen far too many pick up a weapon and merely become a bully and think that they are brave. That they deserve to be knights."

Slowly moving around the table, he took the time to point to each child. Speaking as he did so. Starting with that gap toothed little girl!

"It takes Intelligence, cooperation, cunning, perseverance, strength, courtesy, generosity, kindness, judgement, caring, determination, devotion, faith, honesty, sincerity and flexibility."

Making it clear that he wasn't just speaking to the boys. Making it clear that he believed that each and every one of them held nightly qualities. Yet it didn't take him long to make his way back to the head of the table, to lean the sword against it in front of him. His hands resting on the table top to either side of it while he spoke. Speaking quietly.

"As such, I want to tell you a story about things that needed to be learned. By a younger me...."

Which honestly revealed the fact that Rodry could apparently tell a story. For as he spoke his hands painted a picture that made it easy to sink into every step he took on a journey. One that took him from home and on an adventure. Where the sword that he touched now and then took down bandits and saved beautiful maidens, prompting him to name himself 'Lord Pol'. Yet it took time for the story to tell on how his character had changed. From simply fighting to kill bandits to standing up for justice. Returning people for their crimes rather than simply solving problems with a blade. Until the climax of his story, where he was fighting a black dragon!

"Even while the elven princess looked on the dragon bit down, missing me by the breadth of his slimy tongue! I slashed out scoring a couple of wounds deep in his black scales. I had to dive away and avoid getting kicked!"

He stepped lively, using the sword to pivot quickly. His foot coming down hard on the ground before kicking dirt. Like a dragon would a man!

"I was able to slice through the princesses bonds while avoiding the dragons attack, immediately she began to chant, casting a spell even while I charged! I dove beneath his stomach, the slice I made tearing along his side. Spilling dark ichor everywhere. I slip in the blood and I would have been finished! Yet the princess sent a lightning bolt into the dragons face. He roared with pain!"

This said with a loud voice, yet ... he paused to sip a bit of water at that! Letting them hang on those words! Waiting!

"Yet I leapt! Lunging and slicing with all my strength! The dragon's roar was cut off by the bubbling gurgle of blood in his throat, the dark mess ran down the length of his throat and it wasn't long before his blood had run out and he was weak. Unable to defend himself before my might!"

Rodry was clearly all worked up, his fingers were curled into vicious claws as if he were tearing the dragon apart with his hands rather than the sword! His hair was disheveled, that long braid having long since been pulled free of the back of his coat, he almost looked a little crazy in all honesty! It took a few moments of staring at the kids, for him to seem to come to grips. His gloved hands slowly smoothing over his coat.

.... with the dragon slain the princess was free. Free to return to her home where her Father the king awaited her and I was free to return to my home."

Finally sitting. Using whatever Epiphany had felt fit to provide and taking his last cup of water he had left to sip. While he let the children consider and mull over the story. Which he had been sure to shoe horn action and beauty into as many equal portions as he could!

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 am

So Rodry asked for a barrel or a chair but what he got was a box that did, indeed, seem to appear out of thin air.  Simply materialized behind him as though it had always been there, but had gone unnoticed.  It wasn't any box, but it was a 'soap' box. Even had the word 'SOAP' written diagonally in big red letters on the sides. She had always liked the phrase 'get off your soapbox' when she first heard it years ago, even if the person never meant it literally, she thought that was part of the fun. 

As Rodry spoke Epiphany aimed to take a good look at the sword he was displaying. Something was familiar about it but she couldn't quite put her finger on what it was. Perhaps it was because she, like the boys, was busy listening to his story? And, she always liked a good story. There were too many 'familiar' things about this man that kept picking at her brain, like something on the tip of her tongue that wasn't quite able to be said. Thought she was sure that if she had met this man before then she would have remembered. Even if he had been younger. 

Still, something was there. 

The children -young and old alike - were enamored by the story and responded accordingly with 'ooh's and 'ahh's in the right places. A few of them were even copying what Rodry mimed and added their own bits and endings to it. When the story ended everyone gave cheers of praise and clapped their hands. 

"Just because your old doesn't mean you're not a knight anymore," one of the boys spoke up at the end, "only that you're a retired one."

"Yeah!" was the general response to what had just been said. The children liked that idea - because it still made him a knight despite Rodry's age or what he had said - and it was something they were sticking too. Seems as though calling their new friend 'Sir' was not going to end anytime soon. 

Epiphany was able to pull herself out of wonderment over the sword for enough time to catch a look over at the kids and note that some of the younger ones were getting tired, an aspect over looked by the excitement of a story and the days events. 

"Hey, hey everyone, let's pack up and head on out!" Wrapping the unfinished part of her sandwich up and sticking it in a pocket fold on her skirt. "We get back to late and Sister Mary-Lewis and Father Tomθ will have something to say for sure." The two already were going to say something about the state the kids were being brought back in: the dirt of their body and clothing, not to mention the smell, and the time. While the sky here was still bright and sunny of an early afternoon Epiphany knew that in reality more than a couple of hours had passed and it was banking close to the early side of evening. 

As the kids began putting away what they had left Epiphany smiled over at Rodry. "Was a good story. You know, don't come across too many of them nowadays. Not good ones anyway." Already the smaller details of the Settlement had started to fade off and disappear though it was nothing that would draw attention to being gone unless a person had taken into account everything. A cart here, a tree there, the splotches of grass that had stuck out at areas were gone. The place was turning into a 'clean set' at a slow pace, though their immediate area everything was the same. 

"I'm not too much of a social person that entices visitors, I don't think." Epiphany was skipping all the way back up to a question he had asked before the kids got to asking him their many questions. "I'm not exactly the girl you'd find sitting quietly at a table at the bar. People tend to  keep a bit away when you're mixing a smoking pot or constructing something. Unless they're of the interesting sort who's not looking for someone strictly physically. Ha!" Laughing at the end of that she reached over to give a singular pat to Rodry's arm before she cupped her hands to the side of her mouth. 

"To the lines everybody! Charlie, Marilyn, you two know what to do!" Epiphany gave the order and the two kids started calling out theirs to get the kids in a type of order and started off for behind the bakery. Clearly they were going out, even if it wasn't at the same spot Rodry had entered. "Would be nice to meet your daughter someday. You coming?"

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next