Tel'Ranaemyn: The Wandering Hills Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This space is held for (the short version) announcements and any news worthy notations.

If you see missing pictures or links, bare with me! Slight changes in the works.

Here are a few links to help you get started and get a general feel for the players.

-Guest Poster? READ this!
Latest topics
» Finding his way back.
by Sky Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 am

» "Hello! Do you have a minute to talk about ...?" ((Open to everyone))
by Archer Caughey Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 pm

» O.o This ought to shake up some moods o.O. {OPEN TO ALL}
by Kahn Jordianthan Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 am

» What The Heck Happened That Night!
by Arcadia Caughey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

» Ghosts of the Past
by Liberty Jean Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

» Night One: Introducing Himself [Open to Others]
by De'Ryanna Aybara Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 am

nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D Empty nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 pm

greetings!

november 1st will kick of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and i've decided to be totally bonkers and toss my hat into the ring. readers and audience members who've read and heard the first draft of my latest play have told me that the world and characters would make a fantastic young adult series, so i'm going to take that feedback and experiment with it next month.

the goal of NaNoWriMo is to write approximately 175 pages (50,000 words) by midnight on the 30th of november. that means i'm going to have to write about five pages a day, which is no small feat! for that reason while i'll still be doing some rp in IMs or chat, i'm not going to be much of a presence on the boards during the month of november so that i can save my wordiness for my pages! i just wanted to give everyone a heads up about why i'll be poofing!

are you nuts enough to try to write a novel too? here's the website for NaNoWriMo: www.nanowrimo.org.

cheers,
mindy

Back to top Go down

nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D Empty Re: nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D

Post by Just ... Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:37 am

Thank you for supplying the link. When I changed computers, I forgot to transfer the link and forgot the acronym as well. Happy writing ...

Just ...

Back to top Go down

nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D Empty Re: nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D

Post by Epiphany Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Haha, yay!

I try it every year and fizzle out around the second week because I get distracted, but it's a great thing to do! Good luck with your writting, and don't let the daily mails and all that get to you!

Epiphany
Epiphany

Number of posts : 615

http://www.bebo.com/iastepiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Elessar Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Count me in as well! I only managed around 1,500 words last year but it was great! Welcome to the insanity! Twisted Evil
Elessar
Elessar

Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:36 am

I have a serious impatience problem.  LOL  Because of this, I started writting at 12:05 CMT.  I wrote for two hours straight and am currently at a word count of 2,215.  Smile  I might even keep going.  I had figured it out to be 1,666.66667 words a day.  So I t0ld myself that I had to write 1,667 words a day to make it.  I am off to a great start.  I genuinely hope that everyone who is partisipating has as great a start and that we all can keep it up.

I also found this little titbit of information on the boards at NaNoWriMo.  I thought I'd share for inspiration.

Ever wondered what 50,000 words really looks like? Here are some word counts from other famous books.

HARRY POTTERS

Philosopher’s Stone....77,325
Chamber of Secrets.....84,799
Prisoner of Azkaban...106,821
Goblet of Fire........190,858
Order of the Phoenix..257,154
Half Blood Prince.....169,441
Deathly Hallows.......198,227

OTHER FAMOUS BOOKS

Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe...36,363
Anna Karenina...349,736
War and Peace...587,287
Gone with the Wind...418,053
The English Patient...82,370
A Prayer for Owen Meany...236,061
Crime and Punishment...211,591
The Brothers Karamazov...364,153
Sense and Sensibility...119,394
Great Expectations...183,349
Ender’s Game...100,609
Moby Dick...206,052
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...30,644
Emma...155,887
The Hours...54,243
The Golden Compass...112,815
The Fellowship of the Ring...177,227
The Two Towers...143,436
The Return of the King...134,462
The Lord of the Rings...455,125
The Tenth Circle...114,779
My Sister’s Keeper...119,529
A Tale of Two Cities...135,420
White Teeth...169,389
Atonement...123,378
The Mouse and the Motorcycle...22,416
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn...109,571
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer...69,066
One Hundred Years of Solitude...144,523
Memoirs of a Geisha...186,418
Snow Falling on Cedars...138,098
Cold Mountain...161,511
Midnight’s Children...208,773
A House for Mr. Biswas...198,901
All the Pretty Horses...99,277
A Suitable Boy...591,554(est.)

This was taken directly from Just some food for thought!

----------

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter, and open a vein." - Walter Smith

Happy writting everyone.  And good luck.

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 am

The link didn't post, sorry about that.  Here it is.

http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2008/03/on-word-counts-and-novel-length.html

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:55 pm

how's it goin', nanowrimates!

we're only two days in, and i have quickly realized that i am that jerkface that CONSTANTLY is on nanowrimo updating her word count, and who checks the status of my two nanowribuddies to see how my word count is doing against theirs to help fuel me as an 'i think i can' motivator. so if any of you nanowrimates need a jerkface like me to compare your word count to to help light a fire under your bum, my nanowrimo name is "mae".

i'm also the jerkface who has three different chapters in various states of progress right now. but today, at least during the moments i sneak in some paragraphs here at work, i'm making myself work on finishing chapter one.

that THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE is under 40,000 words is so inspirational to me. i remember being utterly fascinated by that story and that world when i was a little girl, and i think it's a fantastic representation of the economy of language when it comes to narrative. one of my frustrations with the HARRY POTTERS, love and dote on them as i may, is that while reading books 4 - 7 i found myself disconnecting from the story as my analytical art brain would grumble, 'where the heck was her editor and his (or her) red pen?' so as i go forth and prosper in this intense endeavor, i'm going to keep THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE in mind.

happy writing, whether it's nanowrimo or posting!

cheers,
mindy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Serfius Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm

I did not start until yesterday due to an internal struggle over what to write about, but I settled on a story and a title that I am very proud of. But I am only about 1100 words in so far...>_>; But i plan to write non-stop tomorrow, and get to about 10k if I am able.

Good luck to everyone!

Can't find you under "mae" Mindy.
Serfius
Serfius

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:28 pm

good LORD, there are a lot of user names with "mae" in them! i'm just plain ole mae, but to narrow the search down you can also enter my novel title - "The Blossoming of Anima". that will find me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am

Holy Cannolies! You're going to write all day and try to get 10K in one day!?!?! I hate you right now.... and I say that in love.

I wish that I had the ability to write all day without interruption! With that said I'm not going to mention my word count - coughs - but the point is that I am enjoying my little story that I am putting together. Enjoying and not stressing over it, that's what matters.

Pris, I'll have to look you up just because I'm curious - nothing new there! You too Serf! If you give me your name I'll give you mine. ^.^

And before I go, a quote for encouragement to all who are writing either in NaNo or elsewhere!

"Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.” - Don Delillo

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:56 am

Mindy, I am glad that the list gave you something positive.  I too loved that particular novel.  Serfius, good luck with that.  And to give you hope of reaching said goal, I too will be keeping my word count to myself.  And thank you for the quote epiphany, it is inspirational.  Though, perhaps you were right in the instant message, I might not need inspiration.  I seem to have a driving force from a more devine place.  I do so miss my Grandma, and wherever she is, I hope she is proud of me.  Oh and Mindy, don't feel so bad, I am a similar Jerkface.  I update mine before I go to sleep each night, then feel pangs of guilt for my numbers.  I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am. 

Happy Writing WriMo's and everyone else as well.

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:17 am

we made it through week one, everybody!!
this means we're all totally the bee's knees.

a few people in the very real part of my IRL have volunteered to be first draft readers. after getting over the initial 'eeee' of it, i accepted - i figured it would help me get beyond the November part of this whole novel writing gig to the more elusive 'the end' part, in the event that my novel turns out to need more than 50k. it's kind of funny how i'm totally used to having audiences watch and listen to my plays, but i've always been a bit more reluctant with my prose, and i've decided it's high time to get the heck over that.

which brings me to the question - who's sharing? eh? eh? you all have word counts logged on nano, so you can't use not having anything to share as an excuse! besides, i distinctly remember fel saying sharing was good for the soul, or something awfully wise like that. =D

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:30 am

Did I say sharing was good for the soul? - shifty eyes- That um.. must have been me during a fit of the crazies. I've been having a lot of those lately, especially during these late night spurs.... I'll share.. I guess. No. No I will share and try not beat myself to death in the process.

I'm proud of everyone for their progress! I'd even like to take a moment to toot my own horn and say that, even though I'm a handful of days behind I haven't tossed in the proverbial or physical towel yet! Not to mention that for the last couple days I've actually made a little more than word count - for a person who doesn't write a lot I'm happy about this and maybe, just maybe me making it public will in turn make me feel obligated to do more and not less.

No turning back!

Whether you aim for NaNo's daily word count (which sean has told me is impossibly insane...) or a more realistic one that doesn't make you cringe and run away in fright, don't give up! You can do it! I'm not afraid to break out the pom-poms and cheer.
Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:30 am

I have nothing to share ... : giggles : Oh wait, Mindy said that we can't use that excuse.  I guess with 18,595 words, I could share something.  But what to share?  I have my exert on the website, but that doesn't help those of you who do not go to the website, now does it?  So let me see here ...

It was about two hours until sunset when the children were stirred for their lessons. Their tutor was nothing if not prompt. The problem was, that neither of them wanted to wake for the night yet. They had both had so much trouble getting to sleep that they wished to stay that way for a little longer. But the tutor managed to get them both up with a little extra coaxing. Within a half an hour, they were dressed and down in the sitting room for their lessons. Though neither of them were truly paying attention this time. Their minds were elsewhere, not to mention they were exhausted.

After their lessons, they returned to their rooms with their study assignments for the night. They knew they would have to make time to do their assignments. But they were anxious to get to other tasks first. They changed for supper and were ready by the time the bell came. They joined the rest of those who were choosing to gather for supper in the main dinning room. But given how tired they were, they ate slower than they had hoped they would.

Once supper was done, and they were dismissed, they chose to take a small nap before they went on with their mission. After all, it would never do for them to fall asleep in the passages. Tiphaine asked a hand maid to stir them within an hours time. And she did so. And because of their nap, they both felt a little more awake and aware. Which they would come to find was going to be a good thing.

They dressed in their darkest of linens before they left their rooms. Black cloaks were worn as well. They wanted to be able to hide somewhere if need be. With a jar of talc and a spoon in hand, that had been snuck away from the supper table, they were ready to go. They entered the passage ways though the same entrance as the night before. It was the only way that they had found to get in so far. Of course, they knew that not all of the passage ways were connected, so they knew they would have to find other entrances later.

They knew the first few corners because they were the only way to go, so there was no reason to use any talc. When they came upon the first room, Rollo was, again, down on his hands and knees for Tiphaine to stand upon him and peek in the eye hole behind the leather flap. This room was still empty. So they moved on to the second room. Another room that was still empty, as was the third. Tiphaine felt a ting of excitement when they were approaching the fourth room. It had been where she had seen the girls having a tea party the night before. But her heart sank when they were not in the room this night.

After the fourth room, they had a choice of going left or right. Rollo picked right. And to mark their path, he took a spoon of the face talc and put a small pile against the wall on the floor in the section that they were in, as well as one around the corner in the section of the passage that they were entering. This way they would know that they had taken a right turn at that point and would take a left turn on their way out rather than accidentally going straight.

There was a long space along the corridor before they came to another room. This room had another peep hole, just as the other four did. Which made them think that they should search their own rooms for the peep holes. Tiphaine went up onto Rollo’s back again and she carefully moved the leather over the eye hole. There were two men in this room. They seemed to be engrossed in a very heavy conversation. When Tiphaine was able to see them, they were of the men with the funny faces.

So Tiphaine listened to the conversation. One man was saying that the elders were insane to try to go against the master. That he was not as weak as he let on to the others. The second man called the first man Jezera Lickter when he addressed him. His words were “Jezera Lickter, you are a complete fool. They can and will defeat him. It is time for new blood to take over. His ways are too old and make no sense anymore.” Tiphaine knew that this second man was going to be trouble. She also knew that the Count was right, they were conspiring against him.

When Jezera spoke again, Tiphaine noticed that his accent was not as thick as the other man’s.
“Dragos, you are a fool to think this would work. Tavia is a fool to think this would work. I am telling you that you will fail miserably, and loose your lives in the process. All of you will. Including your daughter. Now does Tavi deserve to die because you and Tavia have it in your heads to defeat him? Tavia is your sister, will you truly let her lead us down this road of destruction? And Tavi, she may be an adult, with a husband of her own, but will she not always be your little girl?” Tiphaine was finding this all to be quite interesting.

Dragos got angry. He raised his hand as if to smack Jezera, but then stopped himself. He lowered his hand and stormed out of the room. Jezera shook his head for a moment before he said to himself. “Dragos Stewart, you are such the fool.” Then he went to his desk and picked up a book to read. So Tiphaine got down off of her brothers back. She urged him back the way they had come from. She wanted to tell him what she had heard so they both would know and could better relay the message to the Count.

Once they had snuck back out into the hall, they went into Tiphaine’s bedchamber again. She was nearly bursting to tell Rollo what she had heard. “They are after him. Someone named Dragos Stewart and his sister Tavia are looking to overthrow the Count. They say he is too old and his ways are too old fashioned. They want new blood to be in control. Dragos has a daughter named Tavi. I guess she was named after her Auntie. But Dragos was arguing with this man named Jezera Lickter. And Jezera does not want to overthrow the Count. We have to go tell him this.” She wanted to take that trip across the castle that very moment.

But Rollo knew how long they had been gone, he had an excellent sense of time. And he pointed to the bell on the wall, and it jingled. It was time for snack. Tiphaine had not thought them to have been gone that long. Plus, they forgot to pick up the talc in the passage way. She had been too excited to think clearly. So after snack they would make the trip to the other section of the castle and give this news to the Count.

There, I have shared with all.  And for the record.  I am not trying to hide who I am by using 'Just ...' as my non de plum for these posts.  I am using it simply as a statement that I am here just to be involved in the NaNoWriMo discussions, nothing more.  I know that others think I have other business upon these boards, but I assure you, I have too many characters to keep track of as is.  I do not need a clown, an Orc, a gang member, or anyone else that anyone might suspect is me, upon my plate as well. I hope that puts some minds at ease. 

Happy Writing, be it posts or NaNoWriMo.  Smile

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:35 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention ... Pip, you can tell Sean that I look at the daily word count and laugh. Granted, I have more time than others, but I push myself to write in increments of 2k a night.  After the 2k mark, I start to loose steam.  But that just goes to show that 1,667 is not impossible.  Just not something that everyone can do because they have lives.  LOL  And yes, I am aware of how that makes me sound.  Wink

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm

i am the cheerleader for the fact that 2k a night is crazy...and yet not crazy at all. that's the mark i've been trying to hit every night too because i already know i have to finish at least two days early - michael and i have a night at the sexy borgata in atlantic city planned on the 29th -30th, whoo whoo! - and while my brain is tired it is still chugging along. trying to schedule writing time between the fulltime and the freelance work and the married life and the 5k training has actually helped to make me this weirdly efficient time management ninja. sure, i don't really watch tv anymore, and sure i haven't been rping, but i've also been finding time in odd places which is nice to know! honestly, i've just been so freakin happy that i've been able to hit my goal without losing sleep. that's the real A++ in my book :halo:

and come on! if you really think about it, any night any of us do an IM rp, chat rp, or a meatier post or two on the board that's about 2000 words right there. so we've all got the potential! the only difference is that with the nanowrimo, you really are standing on your own rather than doing writing improvisation with a partner. but word count aside, i think the awesome of nanowrimo is the encouragement to write on a nightly basis, which is really the cornerstone of getting a written project finished. so even if a person only has time for 200 words a night, it's still awesome!

i'm going to post my nano share in a thread on the "creative clique" board. that way i can just add to that thread if i want to share more later on, or if i'm really feeling rammy i may put up a piece of the play that i wrote which originated the world and the characters. the nano has been a slightly surreal writing experience for me, because the play came from my grief from unexpectedly losing a friend who was like a brother to me and while Anima and Animus interact in said play, it's through the dream world because he's gone. the novel i'm working on now has sister and brother both alive and well seven years before that which is...well, knowing where they end up, it's been mind blowing and challenging and a little bit emotional to rewind them and create the history of their relationship.

as for the rest, i wasn't aware minds weren't at ease but i guess they have been since you seem to have thought quite a bit on the subject. i've just been assuming that the Admin monitors who plays on these boards as the Admin always has, and as such gave you permission to post. and i see that as the Admin's business, not mine!

happy day nine, everybody!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:13 am

Haha, Mindy, unfortunately I cannot share in your joy of not loosing any sleep during this process.  I find sleep to be even less forthcoming than usual.  Especially on a day like yesterday.  But I am continuing on, and have reached the half way point.  So yay me!?  And I hope you and Michael enjoy your little mini-vac.  Smile

Elessar, congratulations on beating your word count from last year.  I peeked.  Very Happy  And since you haven't tooted your own horn yet, I thought I would be nice and toot it for you.  I hope you don't mind, it was done with the best of intentions.

Fel dear, those aggressions I needed to take out over the super bad day I was having.  I used NaNoWriMo as my outlet.  It pushed me over the 25k mark and here's the surprise of it all.  I killed 26 vampires.  Yes, that is correct ladies and gentlemen, I killed 26 vampires. They were traitors and had to die.  Though, I'm not so sure that it had to be so violently.  I had werewolves tie them to the ground, drive wooden stakes through their hearts, lop off their heads with swords, and then leave them to fry  into little piles of dust with the coming of the morning sun.  LOL  That's what happens when I have a really bad day.  And to think, this followed the books first sex scene. 

I am having a blast, but for now I must catch a nap.  Happy writing everyone.  Very Happy

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 am

Mindy ... I owe you a debt of gratitude.  The back and forth word count that we seem to be doing, however unintentional, is my driving force.   Between your word count, and Fel's constant pep talks, I am reminded every day that I cannot slack off.  Not because I am trying to race against anyone, but because I know that if I do (slack off), then I will do so again, then I would be at risk of not finishing in time.  Because even though I am far above the suggested word count, one day of missed writing will mess with my flow and I might not get it back.  So thank you Mindy, for pushing me, even if you did not intend to.  And thank you too Fel, for reminding me every day that I can do this.  Free signed copies for you both when I get it published.  That's right Fel, I said when, because you keep telling me that it can happen, so I choose to believe that it will.  And excerpts upon request.  Very Happy

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Huzzah to everyone who decided to embark on writing ventures! It can be hard at times and you may need a break, but the fact that you push on shows strength.

It's good to write something every day, even when NaNo is over. We're all writers, simply by being a part of this board says that you have the aptitude to write because no one is here by force.

We all have different styles, degrees, and levels and whether you write poems, short , one-shot stories, or multi-layered complexities keep up the good work!

nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D Great_Job_clip_art_1_
Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwendolyn Zoi Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:22 pm

I protest! I am here by force! You have me tied up in the room with Mindy in your brain...
Gwendolyn Zoi
Gwendolyn Zoi

Number of posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 am

that smiley has waaaay too much energy. good lord. >.>

i had a dream that i would post something that was thought-provoking and articulate but...god my brain is tired. so very, very tired. i will say one thing about the nanowrimo experience - boy do i sleep through the night like a log!

we all need to find our drive somewhere - especially for such a demanding, regimented project like this - and i'm glad i'm inadvertently helping you with yours. my schedule is the more short term boogieman breathing down my neck, because there are a couple days this week and next where i'm not sure if i'll be able to hit 2000 words so i keep telling myself i need to try and account for that every chance i get.

on the long term, at this point i know that i won't hit 'the end' at 50,000 words. the other day i did this weird equation based on average time it takes me to finish a chapter and how many days are left in this thing (and wtf, i have no business making up math equations i work in theatre) and measured that against the chapters i know i'd like to still write, so i know by estimation there are at least three more chapters that won't be written until after the 30th and the 50,000 words are over. but i'm determined to have a draft done before christmas, so that my literary committee (read: the brave - or foolish - band of merry folks who keep volunteering to read this thing) have something to read for the holidays.

i swear to god, if it weren't for my jogging where i just get to think about moving my body, my brain would have exploded by now.

and now, as i go to sleep, i leave all the nanowrimers with this: has anyone else thought to themselves how much higher their word count would be if they didn't use contractions, or is it just me? did not, could not, i am, and so on look reaaaal sexy at this time a night =D

good luck, happy continued story telling, and i hope that anything i wrote above made just a little bit of sense. yay for words!

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:06 am

The smiley has enough energy to give you when you need it! When you're feeling a lil low on fuel and the day's dragging, just look at the smiley and he'll make you go 'O.O!' and you'll be full of energy simply because of how freaked out you are!

Yeah!

And if you're doing math... Math equations at that... it only proves that the novel has made you insane Mindy . But that's just the way we like you. (Now what does that say about us?)

By the way... do I still need to share?
Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:02 pm

yes! you MUST share. i know where you live! i know where EVERYONE lives! (I do?) the point is, sharing is caring people. i'm going to share more once i figure out what i want to share. i'm having OCD about sharing - my favorite chapter to date is chapter 6, but then i feel like no one will get it out of context and BLAH i just have to make a life choice.

(sleeping didn't do much for my tired brain, can you tell? rawr!)

speaking of sharing is caring, i posted this on the Nano Philly board today and I thought it'd be fun for the muns of the board to answer this - even if you're not doing nano i bet this loving activity can apply to you too:

WHAT'S YOUR WORST WRITING HABIT?

Now that we made it over the hump of halfway there, let's have some fun and air some dirty laundry!!! Writing habits. We all have them. Some of them are our saving grace and are why we're able to do projects like NaNo in the first place, and others...well let's talk about those others in the name of taking a break from our novels and having a little laugh at ourselves. Huzzah!

I'll stick out my neck out first! I have two habits that have come to haunt me during this beautiful month of November...

1. I hate the word said. I don't know what is wrong with me and why I'm so obsessive about that poor four letter word, but there it is. It started all the way back in middle school when I was reading books and the amount of times I read, "Insert dialogue here," Johnny SAID...but good lord ever since that day I can't stand using said more than I have to because the repetition sticks out to me like a big ugly sore thumb. So if you were to read my first draft so far you'd see my characters exclaiming, replying, commenting, questioning, answering...but rarely do they use said. Weird, I know.

2. WHY CAN'T I WRITE IN ORDER ANYMORE?!?!? I used to, back in the day, start at the beginning, end at the end...no more. The last play I wrote I did out of order, and it's become this brand new habit that's such a butt pain. For this novel, I wrote chapters 1 and 2, then a little bit of 4, went back to write 3, skipped ahead and did 6 and 7, and then went back to write 4 and now I'm almost done with 5. But even on the bus ride into work this morning dialogue popped into my head for "Chapter Whatever This Will Be" and I wrote that out of order too. Because I won't let myself go back and read what I have, I've just been praying the arc is decent despite my process jumping all over the place. Someday I’ll write in order again, bah!

So those are the skeletons in my writing closet! Anyone else?

Cheers....and happy writing!!!!
mae

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:41 am

:collapses. just....collapses.:
ladies and gentlemen, if you smell something burning don't check to see if you left something in the oven.
because it's my brain.
my tired yet beautiful, burnt out yet brilliant, 50,000-word-writing brain.
I came, I saw, I WriMoed.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!

Back to top Go down

Post by Just ... Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 am

: collapses right beside her : 

We did it Mindy ...

And it wasn't easy either.  Last week, I broke two nails, and I mean broke them, not chipped or cracked and could add some glue to hold them together.  So I was faced with the choice of 1. continuing to type so illegibly that I couldn't translate it because I kept hitting the wrong keys, 2. giving up, 3. cutting the rest of my nails off and trying to relearn to type with short nails, or 4. have two fake nails.   I so went with 4.  So can you guys tell which two are fake?

nuts enough to write a novel... ][ that's me! =D 100_2301

Hmm, ok, no idea why there's a white box in my pic, but ok.  LOL Please excuse the polish on my fingers, I was in a hurry and had not gotten them cleaned up yet.  And as if living with two fake nails wasn't enough, my dad went into the emergency room in another part of the state the other day.  He's still there as I write this, he might get to come home today though.  And then there was the chili my brother made for dinner last night.  Oye, I have officially sworn off chili.  My ulcer and acid reflux just cannot take it anymore.  So yea, that was my journey of my last 10k words.

Now, as far as sharing goes, Fel we did, so you can too.  And that's that! 

My writing habits ... Haha, let's see ... Oh, ok, when I am on a roll and going along at an entirely too fast pace, I tend to poke my tongue out the right side of my mouth between my closed lips.  Occasionally it's to the left, but usually the right. And I bite down on it to keep it from slipping back in.  LOL  I know, ew.  But hey, that is why I write in my room, alone, at night, when everyone else in the house is sleeping.  Other than that, I chug Dr.Pepper even more than usual, and I eat way too much chocolate, but at least I hardly smoke at all while writing.  Maybe one cigarette per 2k writing session, unless I hit a hard to write spot, then I smoke one as I reflect and ponder. 

So there you go.  And feel free to let the berating about my smoking begin, I can take it, I'm a big girl. (No pun intended)

Oh and Fel, thanks for the smiley ... I opened the boards and scrolled to the smiley every night since you posted it and kept it up behind my word doc so I could look at it periodically as I wrote.  LOL  It was encouraging and energizing.  No idea why, but it just helped, so thanks.  Very Happy

So it's done, and early to boot.  50k+.  Now I can uncage my inner editor, fix the math so I no longer have a 188 year old mortal human (No idea how I screwed that one up) and my time line flows right again.  And I can then move on to finish the book.  Maybe by the end of the year?  LOL 

Oh, and one last thing of note, in regards to the lack of contractions ... I hate them to begin with, at least when writing my books and poems and stuff (posts are different, I have to reduce the word counts there to make the posts fit sometimes.)  I have one contraction in the entire 50, 858 words.  And it was in a part where a human spoke.  But to get to that 50,858 words, I guarantee you, I rode Conjunction Junction all the way.  I definitely know it's function ... Helping my word count. LOL  I cannot remember the last time I used the words ' and' and 'or' so many times.  And yes, yes I did just make a School House Rock reference.  LOL 

Happy writing to all of you ... WriMo's or otherwise.

And

CONGRATULATIONS MINDY!!!!!!!!!!

Just ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next